Wednesday, March 16, 2011

New Adventure:)

So as most of you know I started into the world of travel nursing. That means I signed up with an agency that will send me to different hospitals throughout the United States for 13 week assignments. They set me up in a furnished apartment, give me a quick orientation to the facility and then I am on my own. After 13 weeks I can try to extend my contract, or pack everything I can fit into my (what has never felt smaller) Mazda 3 and I am on my way to a new destination for another 13 weeks. So in talking about this to people I have had mixed reactions.  Some people find it exciting, adventurous, spontaneous and cool. It can also be lonely, scary, challenging and crazy. I have had a few comical responses to which I would like to respondJ One Bishop said “But how are you supposed to get any roots that way?” To which I responded, “Do you know where my roots are supposed to be Bishop? If you know, I would love for you to fill me in!” A concerned cousin asked my sister if I was going through a midlife crisis.  Since when is 26 considered midlife? I cannot confirm or deny the possibility of a mid 20’s crisis. What a way to spend it though! Another concerned cousin asked how I was supposed to date someone if I was always traveling. I love my cousins and all my concerned family!! To that I have a few responses and I hope I don’t come off sounding too cynical.
  1. Who says the man of my dreams in in Utah?
  2. Who says I should wait around somewhere hoping to find someone when I can travel to new places every 3 months and meet new prospects ;)
  3. Not to say I am writing off dating at this point, but lets just say been there, done that. I have loved and I have lost. I have given people the benefit of the doubt, worked and fought for someone who in the end simply chose not to make a decision, overcame trust issues only to be betrayed, and so on.
So I am not given up on dating….. At the end of the day I am still a girl. Every girl has the dream of Prince Charming coming along and sweeping her off her feet. Travel nursing is super flexible. I could always extend a contract to see if things could work out or find a local permanent job. I am simply taking advantage of the fact that I am single and can travel. Travel nursing is something I always wanted to do when I started into nursing. I thought… How awesome to get paid to travel and meet new people. I never imagined I would still be single and have enough experience to do it. So in January I was newly single, had just enough experience to apply, and had been in Utah exactly 2 years. That last part was significant because when I got the job in Salt Lake the last thing I wanted to do was move to Utah but it was an awesome job opportunity that I couldn’t say no too. I said, fine….I will give Utah 2 years of my life and then I am coming back. Funny thing was, as much as I missed AZ, it didn’t feel right to go back there. So that brings me here. Denver, Colorado to be exact! Why Denver? I went on a family reunion to Colorado when I was younger. I fell in love with the mountains, green grass, streams along the roads ect. I vowed I would go to college there. Well that didn’t happen. So here I am. Denver is a little far from the mountains, and I see more brown dead grass than green; but I have heard great things about the city and have already made great friends!

7 comments:

  1. I am behind you my dear friend! Everything you said it right!!! and my opinion always was that you can meet who you need to meet in three months in any ward! So if someone in there cool then stay...if not, then move on and keep looking! I am so happy for you getting out there and being so adventurous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to Maine it's amazing there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, but despite that it's only March which means you will start to see a lot of white to get your mind off the green grass issue. Denver is an awesome place to be though, I'm jealous. Live it up, it won't last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a ton of fun and a great experience, I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's the perfect time to do something like this ... trust me ... everything is harder once there is a husband and especially kids in the picture! Not that you could never do this later, but now is the time! I think it's awesome to get paid to try out all these different places ... gives you a feel for what you really want in life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it! I know you will have an amazing time. Just enjoy every moment....you deserve awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go girl!!! Live life and have fun!

    ReplyDelete